Radial ProDI and ProD2
• Full range passive direct boxes
• Isolation transformer eliminates noise
• Very low harmonic and phase distortion
• Compact and rugged design
• Ideal for live sound and studio
• Mono (ProDI) or stereo (ProD2) models
Typical ProDI / ProD2 Applications:
• Active acoustic guitars, bass guitars
• Electric pianos, synthesizers
• Drum machines, samplers
• DJ mixers, CD, DVD and Mp3 players
• Really easy to use
• Passive - no batteries or psu required
• Isolated to get rid of buzz and hum
• Built like a tank
ProDI / ProD2 Development:
When the Radial JDI was introduced in 1996, it revolutionized many preconceived concepts of what a direct box is and how a passive DI can, in many instances, be a better choice than it’s active counterpart.
The central task of a direct box is to convert an instrument’s signal from high impedance to balanced low impedance. This enables the signal to travel long distances without adding noise and provides a proper load to the mixing console input for improved audio performance.
Active direct boxes employ electronic circuits to change the impedance from hi-Z to lo-Z and balance the signal. Passive DI’s employ a simple passive transformer to do the work. Active DI’s require batteries, 48V phantom-power or external power supplies to power their circuits. Passive transformer-equipped direct boxes do not require any power to perform their task. The advantage of a transformer over typical active circuits can be summarized as ‘a great device to reduce system noise’ in a sound system.
A transformer is an ingenious device that works by converting an electronic impulse, generally referred to as a current, into a magnetic field and then back again into a current. This ‘magnetic bridge’ has the distinct advantage of decoupling the source instrument from the receiving mixing console or mic preamp.
When you hear a hum or buzz in the sound system, this is usually caused by stray voltages traveling through the wire causing havoc at the receiving end. This effect is commonly referred to as a ground loop. The most effective solution to this common malady is to place a transformer between the two offending devices.
If the solution is so easy, why aren’t all direct boxes passive? The trick lies in the quality of the transformer. The Radial JDI, the Duplex, and the JD6 all employ the world’s finest audio transformer, Jensen, to manage the task. The problem lies in the fact that high quality transformers are expensive. These employ hand-stacked and laminated nickel core materials, precise winding schemes and expensive mu-metal Faraday shielding, all of which adds up to big bucks. Cheap transformers employ iron core materials and as a result, tend to saturate quickly, causing harmonic distortion and phase shift resulting in groups of frequencies exiting the transformer at different intervals or out of phase. Bottom line – cheap transformers sound bad.
The quick solution is to employ an active circuit to balance and convert the impedance. Although this works and active DI’s have their advantages, they do not provide any isolation and therefore are ill-equipped to eliminate ground loops.
The Radial ProDI and ProD2 direct boxes employ a custom-made transformer that is fashioned around the Jensen transformer we use in the more expensive Radial JDI. No, the ProDI is not quite as good as our industry standard JDI (see comparison below), but considering it is half the price, the performance is nothing short of impressive!
Technical Comparison Radial JDI Radial ProDI
Frequency response 5Hz to 50kHz 10Hz to 30kHz
Phase distortion at 100Hz 0.1 degree 0.5 degree
Linear response -3dB down 15Hz to 30kHz 20Hz to 15kHz
Feature Comparison Radial JDI Radial ProDI
Inputs & outputs ¼" in/thu, XLR out ¼" in/thu, XLR out
Input pad Yes, -10dB Yes, -10dB
Merge function Yes No
Polarity reverse Yes No
Ground lift Yes Yes
Speaker signal pad Yes, -30dB No
Mil-spec PC board Yes, 2-sided Yes-1 sided
Internal I-beam construction Yes Yes
Book-end outer shell Yes Yes
Full-bottom rubberized pad Yes Yes
Multi-sided screening Yes - 3 sides No - top only
J-Rak mountable Yes ProD2 - Yes ProD1 - No
Using the ProDI and ProD2
The best feature of the ProDI (and ProD2) is 'plug & play' ease of use. All you do is connect the instrument to the ¼” input(s), the ¼” through jack(s) to the stage amplifier(s) or mixer and the XLR output(s) to the mixing console and you are done. Any distortion? Hit the -10dB pad. Any noise? Just depress the ground lift switch.
You will find that with acoustic guitars and basses, the natural tone of the instrument will shine through with a smooth and musical rendering. For electrically powered devices such as keyboards, the ProDI will immediately eliminate troublesome ground loops while delivering solid dynamics with a full rich sound.
Look inside a ProDI or ProD2 and you will find the build quality and components to be of only the highest professional standards. Radial's proven construction methods and materials ensure years of trouble-free service. The ProDI and ProD2 feature audio transformers custom made to our exacting standards to achieve the highest possible audio quality while maintaining an affordable price. The ProDI and ProD2 easily outperform all other direct boxes in their price range in both signal integrity and features
Inside the ProDI and ProD2
1. Isolated XLR connectors to eliminate chassis ground potential.
2. Custom audio transformer on input provides 100% isolation to eliminate hum and noise causing ground loops while maintaining signal integrity.
3. Military spec PC board with full surface ground plane to reduce susceptibility to RF noise.
4. High grade switches - long life, high cycle for reliable performance.
5. 14-gauge steel welded I-beam construction makes it virtually impossible to torque the PC board.
ProD2 Input and Output Panels
6. PAD - 15dB pad for LEFT channel reduces the level going in from loud sources that could overload the circuit and cause distortion.
7. LEFT INPUT and THRU - instrument 1/4" input and thru-put to amplifier.
8. RIGHT INPUT and THRU - instrument 1/4" input and thru-put to amplifier.
9. PAD - 15dB pad for RIGHT channel reduces the level going in from loud sources that could overload the circuit and cause distortion.
10. Book-end design creates a protective zone around the switches & connectors, indestructible 14-gauge steel construction.
11. Full no-slip rubber bottom pad provides mechanical isolation, electrical insulation and prevents unit from sliding around.
12. LEFT - balanced male XLR output connector, AES standard with pin-1 ground and pin-2 hot.
13. LIFT ground pin-1 - switch lifts the ground to pin-1 on both channels.
14. RIGHT- balanced male XLR output connector, AES standard with pin-1 ground and pin-2 hot.
15. Heavy-duty baked enamel finish for excellent durability and great looks for years!
Radial ProDI-ProD2 user guide